Think about a “fence” you have built in your own life. What were you trying to keep out or protect yourself from? Did that fence help you or hold you back? Explain.

A few years ago, I subconsciously made a "fence" to keep my grandma and great grandma on my dads side out. However, the fence around my grandma is a lot more sturdy than the one for my great grandma. I built it because my sister and I used to go over their house when we were younger, and we both didn't have the best experiences over there. My great grandma would often make comments on our bodies in inappropriate or hurtful ways and didn't care how weird it sounded. My grandma was barely ever there when we came over, she was always out somewhere. When she was around, she took me with her to some random person's house with a bunch of other people there and left me on the couch while I was under the impression I was finally gonna be able to spend time with her, but I was wrong. It just seemed like they both didn't care about how my sister or I felt when things like this happened. I do think the fence helped me because it made me realize all the things they did to my sister and I had nothing to do with us personally but how they were raised, and that at the same time we're both allowed to grieve the relationship we both wanted and thought we had with them without having to feel guilty about it.

Summary: We read a little bit of the book "Fences" in class.

Reflection: I learned about the many ways fences can be used, physically and metaphorically. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflect on your experience in Multicultural Literature so far. What has been going well for you, what has been challenging, and what is one thing you need to improve moving forward?

Write about an experience when someone assumed something about you because of a stereotype. What was the situation, and what did you do?

Three Goals That I Want To Achieve This Year