Reflect on a specific gender expectation within your culture that has been challenging for you to navigate. Then describe one clear example of this expectation and explain why it has been difficult for you.

We don't really have gender expectations in my house, so I have never had to experience this, but there was a time my dad tried to tell me how I should sit. He didn't tell me in a demanding or scary way, he just told me to close my legs because girls aren't supposed to sit like that. I just asked him why does it matter how I sit in the comfort of my own home. I told him that I just still like that sometimes and other times I don't, and that I was just sitting however I felt comfortable. Him saying that saddened me a bit because I didn't expect him to have that mindset, but now he doesn't really comment on things like that anymore. I just sit however I want in the comfort of my home. 

 Summary: In class we read a story about gender expectations

Reflection: I learned that in some cultures girls and women have expectations that suppress their own identity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflect on your experience in Multicultural Literature so far. What has been going well for you, what has been challenging, and what is one thing you need to improve moving forward?

Write about an experience when someone assumed something about you because of a stereotype. What was the situation, and what did you do?

Three Goals That I Want To Achieve This Year